Monday, March 5, 2012

Reckless Weekend

I broke my no-alcohol cleanse (technically, it had already ended) last Friday night with two glasses of wine when I arrived home in NYC. Something about my place, the weekend and the man I married makes me pour a lot of wine. I have to remind myself that the goal here is not to become a nun. I don't want to practice deprivation. Discipline, yes. Not that I did much of that this weekend.

Saturday started out OK. I went to Gretchen's babyshower. So happy to be part of girl energy! But I'm out of practice. Hold your tongue and say this in a loud monotone voice, "Wow. You have a job?!" That's how I sounded.

Oddly stressful. I had two Bloody Mary's to help me out, plus I just like Bloody Mary's. I ordered the spinach salad because it was the only vegan option they had. It was great and they even accommodated me with a tasty side of dry wheat toast. Doesn't sound tasty, but it was. Everyone commented that it's the entree they should've gotten, as they wiped maple syrup off their chins.

Shower ended at 1:30. I told David I was on my way back and he suggested I meet him at Doc Watson's. Me and David hanging in a bar on a Saturday is not a good thing. The wine kept pouring and the onion rings kept coming until dinner time.


I was a bit headachy and sluggish on Sunday. David and I ran an errand to our storage locker to throw out some wrecked mattresses courtesy of Hurricane Irene (I've been gone that long!). I caught a cab from there to the airport to travel back to Myrtle Beach. I really want to keep Sunday as my 'fast' day, which is partly why I allowed myself two batches of onion rings on Saturday.

Thing about juicing and travel and coming home to an empty fridge is you really can't do it without some planning and I really wanted hangover food so discipline was especially tough. Instead, I did a soup fast. I found a vegan soup at au bon pan at the airport which was really nice. I had potato leek soup at home that I made just before I left. And I opened a box of Thai sweet potato soup-in-a-box, which sucked. Still, I made it through. We'll see if I can go a little easier on the hooch this coming weekend.

When one thing is off, everything goes.

Traveling this weekend, I also let myself out of my meditation and workouts. I could've gone to yoga yesterday but it was windy and I didn't want to ride my bike. That's four days now. I felt skinny on Saturday morning and by Monday morning I felt fat. And now, after only four days, I don't feel like I'm working a program or striving toward a goal. Good thing to see it now and put in the correction before it gets away from me.

No comments:

Post a Comment